During the New Year, Chinese people greet each other with unique sayings . Some of the greetings are formal and others are casual. Some of the greetings are more polite and are used for seniors or elder people.
How to say "Happy New Year" in Chinese?
新年快乐(xīn nián kuài lè)！
新年(xīn nián) is "New Year". 新(xīn) means "new" and 年(nián) means "year".
快乐(kuài lè) means happiness, joy, or delight.
So "Happy New Year!" in Chinese is "新年快乐(xīn nián kuài lè) ！".
There is another casual way to say "happy new year" in Chinese, which is "新年好(xīn nián hǎo) ！" Usually, people say "新年好(xīn nián hǎo) ！" to family and friends.
When you write a New Year Greeting Post Card, you may need more formal ways.
If a person you are to greet is older than you, you can write:
祝您新年快乐(zhù nín xīn nián kuài lè)！
祝您(zhù nín) means "wish you or bless you… "
"您(nín)" means "you". It is a polite form of "你(nǐ)", usually used for seniors or elder people.
If a person you are to greet is younger than you or is the same age as you, you can write:
祝你新年快乐(zhù nǐ xīn nián kuài lè)！
祝你(zhù nǐ) means "wish you or bless you… "
Common New Year Greetings in Chinese
1. 新年快乐(xīn nián kuài lè)！ Happy new year!
2. 新年愉快 (xīn nián yú kuài) ！ Happy new year!
3. 新年好(xīn nián hǎo) ！Happy new year!
4. 新年进步(xīn nián jìn bù) ！ Making progress in new year!
5. 万事如意 (wàn shì rú yì) ！ Good luck in every thing!
6. 恭喜发财(gōng xǐ fā cái) ！Wish you prosperity!
7. 祝您新的一年身体健康 (zhù nín xīn de yī nián shēn tǐ jiàn kāng) ！ Wish you good health in the new year!
8. 工作顺利(gōng zuò shùn lì) ！ Everything goes well with your work!
9. 生活美满(shēng huó měi mǎn) ！Live a happy life!
10. 事业成功 (shì yè chéng gōng) ！ Succeed in your career!
11. 新年好运 (xīn nián hǎo yùn) ！Good luck in the new year!
12. 祝您的事业蒸蒸日上(zhù nín de shì yè zhēng zhēng rì shàng) ！Wish Your career becomes more prosperous every day!
新年好(xīn nián hǎo)！祝您新的一年身体健康(zhù nín xīn de yī nián shēn tǐ jiàn kāng)！工作顺利(gōng zuò shùn lì)！生活美满(shēng huó měi mǎn)！
May the coming year bring lots of harmony, good health and wealth to you and your family! wishing you and your family a very happy New Year!
If you say these Chinese New Year Greetings to your Chinese relatives and friends in New Year, you are sure to add more joy and happiness to them.