Sweet and Sour Pork is one of the most well-known Chinese recipes in the world. If you like Chinese food, you may know the dish. Sweet and sour pork is very pleasing to the palate because of the flavorsome sweet and sour sauce. The sweetness is from sugar; the tangy ketchup and sharp rice vinegar makes its yummy sour taste, and the pork pieces is fried crispy. Usually, green and red bell peppers and pineapple pieces are added to make the dish tasty and pretty.
The key of an authentic sweet and sour pork dish lies in the perfect balance of the sweet vs. sour taste of the sauce. To master this dish, you need to know the technique of stir-frying and the use of the freshest ingredients, in the same time, make the sweet and sour sauce very tasty.
Traditional Chinese sweet and sour pork recipe uses ketchup and sharp rice vinegar makes its yummy sour taste. Other than the sauce, the frying batter is very important too. A great batter recipe needs crispy and crunchy coating for the pork. In the recipe below, you will also find the instructions and exact measurement to make the batter. It is very simple, you can do at your home!
Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
- 1/2 lb. boneless pork tenderloin, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks in juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 stalks scallions, cut into 2 inch length
- 1 piece fresh/canned pineapple, cut into small pieces
- Oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon corn flour
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 oz. all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 egg
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cut pork slices into strips about 3 inches long and 1/2 to 1 inch wide and marinate with the ingredients for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain pineapple; reserve juice. Combine pineapple juice, 3/4 cup water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and salt; mix the sweet and sour sauce ingredients well and set aside.
- Strain the dry ingredients of the frying batter and then add in the egg, water, and cooking oil to form a thick batter.
- When the pork is well-marinated, transfer the pork pieces into the batter and make sure they are well coated. In a deep skillet, add in the cooking oil enough for deep-frying. Once the oil is hot, deep fry the pork pieces until they turn golden brown. Dish out and drain on paper towels.
- Heat up a wok and add in some cooking oil.
- Add in the chopped onion and stir fry until light brown, then follow by the bell peppers and pineapple pieces.
- Stir fry until you smell the peppery aroma from the peppers and then add in the sweet and sour sauce. As soon as the sauce thickenens, transfer the pork into the wok and stir well with the sauce.
- Add in the chopped scallions, do a few quick stirs
- Dish out and serve hot with steamed white rice.
糖醋里脊(táng cù lǐ ji)
Interested in learning Chinese? Start with the Free Chinese Lessons!