Fried rice is a very popular Chinese food, especially for Happy Family Chinese Food. It is made from steamed rice stir-fried in a wok with other ingredients such as eggs, vegetables and some kinds of meat and/or seafood. There are many popular varieties of fried rice, each with its own specific list of ingredients. In China, the more famous varieties include Yangzhou and Fujian fried rice. However, Chinese restaurants around the world have invented their own varieties of fried rice.
Fried rice is a common staple in American Chinese cuisine, especially in the form sold at fast-food stands. The most common form of American Chinese fried rice consists of some mixture of eggs,scallions, and vegetables, with chopped meat added at the customer's discretion, and usually flavored with soy sauce instead of table salt , which is more typical for Chinese-style fried rice. Fried rice is also seen in other American restaurants, even in cuisines where there is no native tradition of the dish.
Chinese Fried Rice Recipe
This is a simple recipe for fried rice, you can add more ingredients if you prefer to.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 - 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or oyster sauce
- Wash and finely chop the green onion.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok or frying pan and add 2 tablespoons oil.
- When the oil gets hot, add the eggs. Stir and cook until the eggs are lightly scrambled but not too dry. Remove the eggs and clean out the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil.
- Pour in and stir carrots and peas; cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice. Stir-fry for a few minutes, using chopsticks or a wooden spoon to break it apart.
- Stir in the soy sauce or oyster sauce as desired.
- When the rice is heated thoroughly, add the scrambled egg back into the pan. Mix well. Stir in the green onion.
- Serve hot.
Peas, carrots and corn are a good choice because they're all about the same size so they'll be cooked at the same temperature and time. In addition, they're a good size ratio to the rice. Other vegetables like a little cucumbers can be used but do not put too many veggies in ratio to rice or the rice will get soggy. Be careful, do not crowd the pan or the veggies, otherwise it will steam instead of cooking crisp and make the final dish soggy.
The egg is cooked right before the rice because it has a tendency to stick to the pan and remnants in the pan burn as the other ingredients are cooked. When cooked right before the rice, any remnants become incorporated into the rice. You can also add some seafood like shrimps by your preference.
Interested in learning Chinese? Start with the Free Chinese Lessons!